Sabudana Khichdi Recipe is very simple and easy to make.It is liked by the young and the old.It consists mainly of Sabudana or Sago with peanuts,potatoes,green chillies and cumin seeds(Freshly Grated Coconut,Coriander leaves optional).
Sabudana khichdi Recipe
This Recipe is prepared in Navratri and Ganesh Festival and even on any fasting days.
1.Sago or Sabudana is a very good source of carbs or pure starch.
2.It gives energy
3. You shall be surprised with the benefits of Sabudana.
For this reason we have Sago(Sabudana) khichdi recipe for fast and one more main reason is Sago has antioxidants more than vitamins and minerals.
Sabudana khichdi is preferred as it gives instant energy. it keeps one full on stomach on fasting days.
So sabudana khichdi during fasts is very popular in many parts of India viz Maharashtra,TamilNadu,Karnataka and Kerala.
Sago khichdi recipe
This Recipe contains peanuts that are roasted,removed covers and ground coarsely in coarse powder.
Peanuts are a good source of proteins,healthy fats, fibre and contain potassium,magnesium and B vitamins as well.
Children can benefit immensely by eating roasted peanuts for increasing their height and intelligence.
If a handful of peanuts are soaked in water overnight and eaten in the morning it enhances the immune system.
Immunity is very much needed to combat the viral and bacterial infections
1.Sabudana / Sago, 2 cups soaked in water for 2hrs, drained and kept in sieve overnight
2.Peanuts 1 and ½ cup roasted and covers removed and ground into a coarse powder
3.Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon full
4.Green chilies 7 cut longitudinally
5.Potatoes 2 medium sized cut into round slices,cut longitudinally into thick strips
6.Refined oil / ghee 2 tablespoon
The preparation for Sabudana / Sago Khichdi Recipe starts the night before you prepare it
How to Soak Sabudana ?
This is the main step in Sabudana Khichdi Recipe.
Take 2 measures / cups of Sago or Sabudana
Soak in water in a pot so the level of the water is twice that of the level of the Sabudana, as the Sabudana swells in size after soaking
Keep it for 1 to 2 hrs
Then drain the Sabudana or Sago in a sieve till all the milky water will be drained out
The older the Sago in the store the more the milky powder will drain out this powder it gives stickiness to the Sabudana.In addition, the Khichdi becomes sticky, so to avoid it we wash it properly and drain it.
Keep the sago draining in the sieve overnight
The sabudana will have been drained by next morning and it will get separated and give a nice taste
Sabudana Khichdi Recipe
1. Heat a wok on a medium flame
2. Add 2 tablespoon of Oil / Ghee
3. On heating of oil add 1 teaspoon full Cumin seeds
4. When cumin seeds splutter add 7 t o 8 longitudinally cut Green chilies
Or as per your taste
5. When Green chillies are saute add thick strips of Potatoes
Do not add water
6. keep the flame medium to low and let the thick potato strips become tender
7. When the potatoes get tender add
8. Sabudana and peanut powder
9. Add 1 teaspoon full of salt or as per taste and add 1 teaspoon full of sugar
10. Mix well
11. Do not cover the lid or the Sago will overcook
12. Keep on constantly mixing it and the Sabudana will become tender
13. Optional You can add freshly grated coconut 2 tablespoon and
Coriander leaves 2 tablespoon
14. When done cover the lid and let it simmer for 1 to 2 minutes
15. Serve with a wedge of lemon or half cup of yogurt
As we can see this recipe is full of energy and hence is a must try for this festive Season.
So do try Sabudana Khichdi Recipe and let me know.