The process of How to Make Suji Halwa is handed over to the teenage girls in each Indian household by the elders.
Suji halwa originated in India. It is an Indian cuisine dating back to the 12th century. Indian ladies came up with a variety of ways to prepare it.
Sooji Halwa Recipe mainly consists of suji, milk, ghee, and sugar.
We call this Halwa “Sheera” in Maharashtra.
We call it suji halwa or Mohan bhog in Northern India.
Suji Halwa (also spelled as Sooji Halwa) is an Indian dessert made with semolina and milk solids, flavored with sugar and saffron. It is a traditional baked dessert with many variations, although the basic ingredients are semolina, sugar, ghee (clarified butter), and milk.
It is a breakfast or a dessert item. Mostly preferred with puris in other parts of India.
Ghee is very sacred to the Indians. Suji Halwa Recipe with Milk is prepared with suji, milk, ghee, sugar, banana, and saffron as a unique item when saffron is added the Halwa is called “Kesari Sheera” and is offered to god as “Prasad” in poojas.
Indians made suji halwa with Jaggery in ancient times before sugar was invented. It is still made as a traditional dish in some households.
Indians were the first to produce sugar from sugarcane by crystallizing the sugar cane juice in the Gupta dynasty. But before sugar came into existence, the Indians made “ Gud “ or Jaggery. This was done by boiling sugarcane juice to a thick consistency, cooling it for 4 to 5 days, and collecting in pails or buckets this dried product is “Gud” or Jaggery.
Benefits of suji
- Rich in proteins and fiber
- High in B vitamins
- Good sources of iron, magnesium, and folate which are heart-healthy they reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Iron prevents anemia.
So let us see How to Make Suji Halwa.
Ingredients of Suji Halwa Recipe with Milk
- A cup of suji/semolina
- A cup of sugar
- 3 / 4 cup of pure ghee
- 7 to 8 cardamoms made into powder
- 7 to 8 cashew nuts
- 8 to 10 almonds
- 2 and a half cups of milk
- Heat a pan
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- Add cashew nut and almonds
- Roast on medium flame
- Remove almonds and keep aside when done
- Keep 2 and a half cups of milk for boiling on low flame
Preparation time: 15minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Cooking process of Sooji Halwa Recipe
- Heat a Kadai
- Add suji in 3/4th cup pure ghee.
- Keep on medium to low flame and roast.
- Keep roasting till suji is pink in color
- Roast till the ghee leaves the sides and gives a beautiful aroma
- Add boiled milk and mix well.
- Keep the flame on medium.
- Add cardamom powder
- Mix till no lumps are formed
- Add a cup of sugar
- Mix well. See that the sugar dissolves evenly. No lumps remain without sugar.
- Mix well
- Add cashew nuts and almonds.
- Mix well and serve
If U like this recipe do check out Caramel Pudding Without Oven
Special tip 1: the suji should be roasted patiently till pink in color or gives a beautiful aroma. or else the dish becomes sticky
Special tip 2: when adding milk or water to the suji I prefer boiled which makes the suji puff well, and the dish does not become sticky
Suji Halwa tastes delicious and is also preferred by the whole family as it is sweet and tastes awesome. This is one dish which is liked by all the members of the family Youg or old.
This Suji Halwa is very easy to prepare so Do try it at home and give me your comments in the comments box.
Check out this if U feel like U want more details