Benefits of Sabudana will surprise all.
The instant energy it gives due to the carbohydrates keeps one full on the stomach on fasting days.
Sabudana Khichdi is popular in many parts of India viz especially Maharashtra , Karnataka , Tamil Nadu , Bengal and Kerala
Sabudana is a starch made from a root vegetable tapioca and it is used in a variety of Indian recipes. It is also used to make sweets such as payasam, halwa, and kheer.
Sabudana is a popular carbohydrate supplement in India, consumed with every meal to provide energy to people.
Benefits of Sabudana
1. According to Ayurveda after fasting for several hours Sabudana / Sago pearls cool the body .
They neutralize the acids in the stomach and are good for digestion this is the reason why Sabudana Kheer is used in stomach upset
2. Sabudana has antioxidants more than vitamins and minerals which help the muscles to grow
3. Sabudana pearls are rich in vitamin C which boosts the immune system This helps the body to resist viral and bacterial infections
4. It is rich in calcium for strengthening the bones
5. Sabudana has iron to increase the hemoglobin in the blood
6. It has manganese for metabolism.
7. Sabudana is very useful in no cholesterol , low in sodium diet.
8. Sabudana has Zinc which is good for the blood.
9. It improves the risk factors for heart disease.
10 .It enhances exercise performance.
11. Sago is naturally Gluten Free and is a good substitute for wheat based Flour.
12. It has calories of 300+ per 100 grams of Sabudana.
13. In pregnancy as Sabudana or Sago contains Zinc it helps in anemia, it increases the hemoglobin in the blood.
14 .As it contains folate it is important for Pregnant women.
India is so rich in its culture and Heritage.
During the festive season traditionally we make dishes from Sago or Sabudana considered to be auspicious and delicious.
In Navratri,Diwali,Ganesh Festival we use sago to make various dishes for fasting.
- Sago Upma :- Sago Upma is a very famous recipe and contains Sago,Potato,Lemon,Ginger,curry Leaves and Roasted Peanuts.
- Sago Khichdi :- Is especially made in Maharashtra and is loved by all.During the fasts,Sabudana Khichdi is allowed if one wants to have a small breakfast before starting the Puja.
Sabudana Khichdi Recipe For Fast is prepared with Sabudana,potatoes,roasted peanuts coarsely powdered, green chillies,grated coconut and cumin seeds.
1.Sago Kheer :- Sago Kheer is a sweet dish and contains Sabudana,Milk,Sugar,Saffron and dry fruits.
2.Sago Thalipeeth :- Sago Thalipeeth contains sabudana,roasted peanuts made into smooth powder,cumin seeds,green chillies,grated coconut and coriander leaves.
3.Sabudana vada :- Both the young and old love Sabudana Vada for its crispiness.It is made of sabudana,Grated raw potato,peanut powder,cumin seeds and coriander leaves.
The ingredients of Sabudana vada make it crispy .The process of making of Sabudana Vada involves mixing all the ingredients well.
Rolling into balls, frying in oil then serving it.This Makes Sabudana Vada not only crispy but very tasty as well.It is generally served with coconut chutney.
These various recipes not only taste yummy but keep the stomach full on fasting days only because of the ingredient known as Sabudana or Sago.
As Sabudana is full of energy and high in carbohydrates it might be one of the reasons that during the old days the tradition of having Sabudana might have started.
The various recipes made of this Sabudana are liked by everyone, there is a mix of recipes both crispy and sweet that can be made from sabudana so most of the family members also like it.
U can also check what is sabudana made of
For more on benefits of sabudana U can check this
As we have seen the benefits of Sabudana or sago are a plenty